Project Management Career Information and Course options
From 3 days
Prince2 Foundation, Prince2 Practitioner & ILM Training
Career Guidance Information for working in Project Management
A profession in project management requires the following skills:
- Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills
- Logical thinking with creative problem-solving ability
- Great attention to detail
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Understanding of budget control
- The ability to work well with others and lead a team
- A good understanding of business
- Technical skills relevant to the project
- Good IT skills
Hours and environment
Your working hours could vary according to the type of project you are working on. Your typical hours would be 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, although you may need to work longer when deadlines are approaching.
You would usually be office-based, but may spend some of your time attending meeting or visiting contractor and suppliers. If you work on building projects you will visit construction sites on a regular basis. Some project may involve travel and spending time away from home.
Opportunities / Areas of Work
You can work as a project manager in almost any industry as well as engineering and constructions, including IT, sales and marketing, manufacturing and in the public sector. You could also join a firm of project management consultants.
Freelance contracts for each project are common, or you may have a permanent contract with an employer.
Many large corporations such as bank and insurance companies have also started hiring project managers in order to accomplish their work more effectively.
With experience, you could progress into senior management, or become a freelance consultant.
Figures are intended as a guideline only. Salaries are dependent on experience, the industry and the size and type of project.
- Earnings are usually between £25,000 and £50,000 a year
- Top salaries can reach £80,000 or more
- Freelance project managers may be paid around £300 to £400 a day
- There may be extra bonuses for meeting deadlines
Prices and Locations